Explore

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Laguna Mountain- Part 2/2



Laguna Mountain- Part 2/2
The Migrants


(Read part 1 for part 2 to make sense)

I woke up in the tent to the sound of Wild Turkeys gobbling and Acorn Woodpeckers' raucous waka-waka-waka-WAKA!  The turkeys just kept gobbling and gobbling and wouldn't stop, so I accepted the fact that I wouldn't get any more sleep and rose up to eat breakfast at 6 AM.

First up, we went to a highish elevation sagebrush trail.

Most of the birding I did on this trail was accomplished by peering through my 'nocs at the distant canyon whenever I saw flickers of movement, whether they turned out to be birds, moving branches, or volcanic eruptions.  Black-chinned Sparrows and White-crowned Sparrows were barely identifiable through the thick brambles.
I began to see sprinklings of spring migrants coming through far off in the distance. There were several gorgeous Western Tanagers (yearbird!) chirruping among the crags.


The next thing I knew, Western Kingbirds (yearbird!) were all over the place, emitting silly squeaks. Their pitiful calls are nothing like the hearty belches of the Cassin's Kingbirds I had grown used to over the winter.


There was nothing more to see and hear on the trail but dead, dry mountains and the shrill, neverending wind so we headed back down. 

Our next trail turned out to be much more productive. Almost immediately, I spied a Black-chinned Sparrow, a Lark Sparrow, a White-crowned Sparrow, and a Spotted Towhee, making the record for "Most Sparrows Spotted in a Second on Laguna Mountain While Eating a Kit-kat." Mountain Quail calls echoed through the shallow valley. I saw a particularly fat one strolling along the opposite side of the hills and providing good photograph opportunities. Of course, every time I clicked the shutter,  it hurriedly  ran behind a tree. I changed my strategy, waiting for the quail to come to the camera. It realized my efforts and decided to walk into a bush.

After five minutes, we arrived at the spring, our destination for the trail. Singing warblers overflowed the trails. Black-headed Grosbeaks joined in the mixed, rambling chorus. 

I could have sat at the oasis for hours, but unfortunately we had to leave after a exciting ten minutes. Here's what I saw. Yeah, I'm not too happy about the pictures either. I was running out of camera battery and honestly a lot more focused on the warblers than getting any photos at all. Spoken like a true warbler fanatic!


First Lazuli Bunting (yearbird) of Spring!

As you can see, Mr. Lazuli was very far away. At closer range, male Lazulis are beautiful birds. The females are much more dull and brown. 



Black-throated Gray Warbler (yearbird)

Orange-crowned Warbler (yearbird)

Nashville Warbler 

Wilson's Warbler (yearbird)

Beautiful male Wilson's Warblers. I was so excited about the warblers coming in at the oasis. I wonder what it must be like to be in the East Coast during warbler migration! 

Black-headed Grosbeak

Warbling Vireo 

Rock Wren (yearbird)




We hiked two other short trails, none of the particularly interesting, save Hermit Warblers (yearbird) and a singing California Thrasher too far off for decent views. I was pretty blown out anyway, so I don't think I would have the energy to keep up with a ton of cool birds. Birding takes a lot of energy! 






Wrapping up this trip report with a last video. Shaky, as I don't own a tripod:










-chiccadee


















No comments:

Post a Comment