Explore

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Birds in Love (Episode 1: Part 1/3)

Springtime, for birders, means lots of things. Warblers, thrushes, beautiful birds of every shade possible. For birds, Spring means something very different!


What does Springtime mean for birds?

Mr. Oreo the Hooded Oriole

A few yards away from my yard is a huge, thick palm tree with a lot of stumpy ones scattered around it. I was hoping for an Oriole nest this year. When a male Hooded Oriole (whom I have named Mr. Oreo. I know, super generic name) started swaying and singing on the tree, I took it to be a good omen.

Mr. Oreo doesn't look like he's singing, but he is. Orioles manage to sing their scratchy songs opening their beaks less than an inch wide. 

Today, as I was scouting around and trying to find nests in the backyard, I heard a series of frantic chuffs and scuffles arise from the palm tree. Mr. Oreo had attracted a female with his horrible singing! 

His effort was so desperate and strained, like he had spent his lifetime on getting a girl and now couldn't afford to let her go, that I sincerely hoped they would form a mated pair.  Mr. Oreo tried to impress the female by singing swankily while carefully assuming an upright position on a shaky perch. The female watched for a bit, seemed won over, and the two flew off to who knows where. 



Mourning Doves in Love

Though I can't say this is the same pair I've seen throughout the year mating for sure, it definitely seems like it!

It starts off with a simple routine. The pair starts off far apart and slowly inches together, preening all the way so that they look like giant cottonballs: 





"I love you!"


One member of the pair then extends their beak outward in an offer:



And they form a violent, swaying kiss! 




What are some of the courting and mating rituals YOU have seen in your backyard?







Sorry about the lack of blog posts recently, time has been really short.


-chiccadee

No comments:

Post a Comment