Explore

Friday, July 18, 2014

Stop and Enjoy.... (Blog Short)




The fighting and blundering of Cassin's Kingbirds is super fun to watch. However, most birders don't give the common birds a second glance. 


Often when you're birding, another birder will come along and ask the dreaded question, "See anything good today?" or "What have you got there?"

And most of the time, I answer "no," because really, I have no idea what they mean. I used to give answers like "Oh today, I found a cool bluebird nest," or " Lesser Goldfinch fledgeling begging from random goldfinches and getting rejected. Cutest thing ever!" but noone seems to care about these things. Only when I say: "Two Williamson's Sapsuckers are just a couple yards down the path," do birders suddenly pay attention and listen in on every single one of my words like their life depends on it.


A year or two ago, someone asked the question "What makes your day a good day?" I was startled to read that pretty much everyone said that they were only happy if they got a species count higher than 40-50, or in the extreme cases, 80. 80???

80??? Don't get me wrong, those rocking days where I get 100+ species always get me warm and excited on the inside, but all it takes for me to be happy is to see a little wildlife!

Grackles are passed off by many as "trash birds." I don't think they ever get old for me, with their beautiful iridescent purples and blues. 



Next time you go birding, don't just focus on getting lifers or yearbirds... stop and admire the beauty, behavior, and bounty of common ones.


Happy birding,

chiccadee

No comments:

Post a Comment